U.S. Decision On Troop Withdrawal Not Expected To Undermine NATO Plans In Europe, Says NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe

Military News

U.S. Decision On Troop Withdrawal Not Expected To Undermine NATO Plans In Europe, Says NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe
U.S. European CommandNATO Supreme Allied Commander EuropeTroop Withdrawal

Alexus Grynkewich, commander of the U.S. European Command and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, states that the decision by the U.S. to withdraw an armored brigade or 5,000 troops from Europe will not undermine the alliance's defense plans in the region. He also mentions that European allies and Canada are taking more responsibility for the conventional defense in Europe with continued backing from U.S. capabilities.

Tuesday, 19 May 2026 | 10:50 PM MYTU. S. Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich, commander of the U.S. European Command and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe , testifies before a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on the"posture of the U.S. European Command and U.S. Transportation Command in review of the Defense Authorization Request", on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.

, U.S., March 12, 2026. REUTERS/Elizabeth Frantz BRUSSELS, May ⁠19 - NATO's top commander Alexus Grynkewich ⁠said on Tuesday that a ‌U.S. decision to withdraw an armoured brigade, or a total of 5,000 troops, from ​Europe will not undermine ⁠the alliance's defence ⁠plans in the region.

Grynkewich, speaking in Brussels ⁠where ‌he met with military chiefs from NATO countries, added ⁠that European allies and Canada are ​taking ‌more responsibility for the conventional defence ⁠in Europe ​with continued backing from the U.S. capabilities, which are being adjusted.

"As ⁠the European pillar of the ​alliance gets stronger, this allows the U.S. to reduce its presence in ⁠Europe and limit itself to providing only those critical capabilities that allies cannot yet provide," Grynkewich said, adding ​that he couldn't ⁠provide an exact timeline but that ​it would be an"ongoing ‌process for several years". Follow us on our official

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

staronline /  🏆 4. in MY

U.S. European Command NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe Troop Withdrawal Europe Allies Capabilities Defense Plans

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says NancyAnti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says NancyPARIS, May 19 (Reuters) - Europe's leading artificial intelligence firm, France's Mistral AI, said on ⁠Tuesday it has acquired Vienna-based Emmi AI for an undisclosed sum, aiming ‌to enhance its offering for industrial clients across Europe.
Read more »

Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officerNancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officerPARIS, May 19 (Reuters) - Europe's leading artificial intelligence firm, France's Mistral AI, said on ⁠Tuesday it has acquired Vienna-based Emmi AI for an undisclosed sum, aiming ‌to enhance its offering for industrial clients across Europe.
Read more »

Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh City launches 45-day crime crackdown campaignVietnam's Ho Chi Minh City launches 45-day crime crackdown campaignPARIS, May 19 (Reuters) - Europe's leading artificial intelligence firm, France's Mistral AI, said on ⁠Tuesday it has acquired Vienna-based Emmi AI for an undisclosed sum, aiming ‌to enhance its offering for industrial clients across Europe.
Read more »

Germany starts sale of bailed-out energy firm UniperGermany starts sale of bailed-out energy firm UniperThe firm was plunged into crisis when Russia slashed supplies of gas to Europe as tensions soared following the invasion of Ukraine.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-19 18:18:39