US cuts troop brigades in Europe, presses allies to spend more on defence

US Department Of Defense News

US cuts troop brigades in Europe, presses allies to spend more on defence
US Troop BrigadesBrigade Combat TeamsPoland Deployment

WASHINGTON, May 20 — The Department of Defense said yesterday it was reducing the number of US troop brigades in Europe from four to three, taking the deployment back to 2021...

‘Come once a week’: Selangor Sultan asks Ronnie Liu, DAP rep to visit Rukun Negara monument over pig farming controversyThe Pentagon said it is reducing US troop brigades in Europe from four to three, returning deployment levels to those seen in 2021.

— Reuters pic! Plus, enjoy an additional FREE RM10 when you sign up using code VERSAMM10 with a min. cash-in of RM100 today. T&Cs apply. WASHINGTON, May 20 — The Department of Defense said yesterday it was reducing the number of US troop brigades in Europe from four to three, taking the deployment back to 2021 levels, as Washington pressures the continent to do more for its own defence.

The Pentagon “has reduced the total number of Brigade Combat Teams assigned to Europe from four to three,” it said in a statement. A BCT comprises 4,000-4,700 personnel, according to a Congressional report. The statement said that the reduction was resulting in a “temporary delay” of the deployment of US forces to Poland.

That announcement was preceded earlier yesterday by US Vice President JD Vance saying that a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland had been delayed rather than cancelled.

“The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other US forces in Europe based on further analysis of US strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies’ own ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defence,” the Pentagon statement said. The reduction in brigade combat teams is the culmination of weeks of anticipation about US force reduction in Europe, and Washington’s insistence that its allies on the continent invest more in their own defence.

President Donald Trump has appeared determined to punish allies who have failed to back the US-led war against Iran or contribute to a peacekeeping force in the crucial Strait of Hormuz.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

malaymail /  🏆 1. in MY

US Troop Brigades Brigade Combat Teams Poland Deployment US Strategic Requirements Europe Defence Strategy

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says NancyAnti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says NancyPARIS, May 19 (Reuters) - Europe's leading artificial intelligence firm, France's Mistral AI, said on ⁠Tuesday it has acquired Vienna-based Emmi AI for an undisclosed sum, aiming ‌to enhance its offering for industrial clients across Europe.
Read more »

Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officerNancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officerPARIS, May 19 (Reuters) - Europe's leading artificial intelligence firm, France's Mistral AI, said on ⁠Tuesday it has acquired Vienna-based Emmi AI for an undisclosed sum, aiming ‌to enhance its offering for industrial clients across Europe.
Read more »

U.S. Decision On Troop Withdrawal Not Expected To Undermine NATO Plans In Europe, Says NATO Supreme Allied Commander EuropeU.S. Decision On Troop Withdrawal Not Expected To Undermine NATO Plans In Europe, Says NATO Supreme Allied Commander EuropeAlexus Grynkewich, commander of the U.S. European Command and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, states that the decision by the U.S. to withdraw an armored brigade or 5,000 troops from Europe will not undermine the alliance's defense plans in the region. He also mentions that European allies and Canada are taking more responsibility for the conventional defense in Europe with continued backing from U.S. capabilities.
Read more »

Middle East tourism pain is Europe’s gain: Travellers stay closer to home amid safety risksMiddle East tourism pain is Europe’s gain: Travellers stay closer to home amid safety risksPARIS, May 20 — Europeans are choosing to vacation closer to home as the war in the Middle East has amplified security concerns and made long-haul flights more expensive.The...
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-20 04:49:27