Chris Eubank Jr and Liam Smith scrap to save boxing’s troubled reputation

Malaysia News News

Chris Eubank Jr and Liam Smith scrap to save boxing’s troubled reputation
Malaysia Latest News,Malaysia Headlines
  • 📰 GuardianAus
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 84 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 37%
  • Publisher: 98%

Saturday’s evenly matched middleweight grudge match can lighten the shadow cast by Conor Benn’s failed drug tests

that “science” had exonerated him and the “evidence doesn’t lie”. Yet it is hard to find anyone, outside of the Benn and Hearn camp, who seriously believes both his test results were contaminated.

Against this dismal backdrop, Eubank Jr chose to accept a much more difficult challenge in fighting Smith. While he is still the bigger man, for Smith has fought mostly at super-welterweight, one division lighter than Saturday’s middleweight contest, Eubank Jr knows that his opponent is a tough and seasoned pro who has operated in the paid ranks since 2008. Smith has lost three of his 36 fights but he has been a world champion and alsowho stopped him in nine rounds in 2016.

Eubank Jr, at 33, is a year younger than Smith and he has also fallen short on two occasions – losing to Billy Joe Saunders and George Groves. He has, however, improved under a new trainer in Roy Jones Jr, the great former world champion, and Eubank will step into the ring as a marginal favourite. This still seems to resemble a 50-50 battle – but Eubank Jr believes he will eventually prove too big and too strong for Smith.

The evenly balanced nature of the bout, with both fighters having limitations at the very highest level, is intensified by the fact that defeat will be a grievous blow for the loser. “At this stage of my career I know I’ve got a lot to lose,” Smith concedes. “My fear is losing to somebody I should never lose to. And I feel I should never lose to Eubank Jr.”

An even more urgent statement is made by Eubank Jr: “If I don’t get the victory, my career is in dire, dire straits. It’s in jeopardy. Victory is the most important thing in my life at this moment.” He told me last week that this is a fight for the “purist” and, while it will be only Smith’s second middleweight bout scheduled for 12 rounds, Eubank Jr expects a gruelling scrap.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

GuardianAus /  🏆 1. in AU

Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Chris Bowen ‘has failed’ every ministry he’s hadChris Bowen ‘has failed’ every ministry he’s hadChris Bowen “has failed” every ministry he’s had, says former speaker of the house Bronwyn Bishop. Ms Bishop gave her thoughts on the Energy Minister when asked if he was completely deluded on what he could and couldn’t do. “Whenever a government starts to intervene in price setting … you get into grief,” she told commentator Steve Price. “We’re not short of coal - what we are short of is coal-fired power stations.”
Read more »

Australia’s Steve Smith signs deal with Sussex for Ashes buildupAustralia’s Steve Smith signs deal with Sussex for Ashes buildupSmith agreed a three-game deal as part of his summer preparations and is hoping to ‘provide some guidance’ to young English players
Read more »

War crimes investigators narrow focus to three key targets, including Roberts-SmithWar crimes investigators narrow focus to three key targets, including Roberts-SmithThe ramping up of investigations comes as former special forces soldiers and their supporters have mounted an online campaign to smear those they suspect of co-operating with investigators.
Read more »

War crimes investigators narrow focus to three key targets, including Roberts-SmithWar crimes investigators narrow focus to three key targets, including Roberts-SmithThree former SAS soldiers and their associates have emerged as the key targets of the secretive agency investigating war crimes by Australian soldiers, which aims to lay its first criminal charges this year.
Read more »

SA's celebrity tourism strategy to be reviewed following Sam Smith concertSA's celebrity tourism strategy to be reviewed following Sam Smith concertThe SA government defends its strategy of employing celebrities and influencers to market the state, but says it will review the approach to ensure there is value for money.
Read more »

I’m a 32-year old woman and I have no female friends. Am I missing something? | Leading questionsI’m a 32-year old woman and I have no female friends. Am I missing something? | Leading questionsIt is worth asking yourself why this is the case, writes advice columnist Eleanor Gordon-Smith, it may tell you something about your own relationship to gender
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 19:47:54