A shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego resulted in the deaths of three people, including a security guard, with the shooters later found dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a car.
SAN DIEGO: A shooting at a mosque complex in California killed three people Monday, with two suspected teenage gunmen later found dead in a car from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
Police said emergency response teams found the victims outside the sprawling Islamic Center of San Diego, before later finding the shooters, aged 19 and 17, also dead. TV footage from a helicopter showed armed response teams gathered outside a building, with one unidentified person lying in a pool of blood. Dozens of patrol cars were lined up around the Islamic Center, described on its website as the largest mosque in San Diego county, which lies in southern California.
After a short period of lockdown when authorities advised residents to stay inside, San Diego police announced that the threat at the centre had been “neutralised. ” “We received a call of an active shooter at the Islamic centre. Within four minutes, officers arrived on scene and observed immediately three deceased victims out in front,” San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl told reporters.
“We immediately began to deploy with an active shooter response into the mosque and adjacent school,” he said, adding that police had received calls about more gunfire nearby, where landscaper at work there had been shot at but not hit. Place of worship targeted Outside the Islamic centre, police found a vehicle in the middle of the street with the shooters dead inside.
“The suspects at this point appear to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. There were no officers involved in firing their weapons,” Wahl said. Police said that a security guard at the Islamic centre was among the three victims killed. The identity of the other two fatalities was not immediately clear.
The imam at the mosque, Taha Hassane, said that all the staff, teachers and children at the mosque were safe.
“We have never experienced tragedy like this before. And at this moment all that I can say is, sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here,” he said.
“It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” the imam added. President Donald Trump described the shooting as a “terrible situation. ” “I’ve been given some early updates but we’re going to be going back and looking at it very strongly,” he told reporters. State governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the apparent attack, his press office said.
“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” it said in a post on X.
Islamic Center Of San Diego San Diego County Active Shooter Response Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wounds Place Of Worship Targeted Shooting At Mosque Complex Shoppers Shooting Victims Gov. Gavin Newsom President Donald Trump Immediate Lockdown Neutralized Threat Gained Updates Looking At It Very Strongly
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
‘Timmy’ the humpback whale saved in €1.5m Germany rescue found dead in Danish watersCOPENHAGEN, May 17 — A humpback whale that underwent a rescue operation in Germany two weeks ago after beaching itself there has been found dead near a Danish island, officials...
Read more »
Singapore court grants winding up bids for three entities linked to 1MDB scandal, liquidators sayThe summary is about a court ruling granting winding up bids of three entities linked to the 1MDB scandal.
Read more »
Nine MA63 issues resolved in three years under Madani govt, strongest record yet, says Mustapha SakmudJOHOR BAHRU, May 17 — The Madani Government has achieved its best record in the nation’s history by resolving nine matters under the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) within just...
Read more »
The versatile roast: How one roast chicken can give you three great mealsMay 18 (Reuters) - Australia's Eddie Nketia has promised to run 100 metres under 10 seconds in legal conditions this season after going under the symbolic mark with the help of an illegal wind for the second time in two months in Nebraska on Sunday.
Read more »
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransomSocial media CEOs once again are being called to testify before the US Senate in light of mounting legal and public pressure to protect young users on their platforms.
Read more »
