KINSHASA, May 17 — An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has caused at least 80 deaths has a “very high lethality rate” and no vaccine or specific...
Health workers move a patient to a hospital after he was cleared of having Ebola inside a Doctors Without Borders -supported Ebola Treatment Centre in Butembo, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The Ebola virus resurfaced in May 2026, months after it was declared eradicated in December 2025. — AFP file pic! Plus, enjoy an additional FREE RM10 when you sign up using code VERSAMM10 with a min. cash-in of RM100 today. T&Cs apply.
KINSHASA, May 17 — An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has caused at least 80 deaths has a “very high lethality rate” and no vaccine or specific treatment, the country’s health minister warned Saturday. Nearly 250 suspected cases of the the highly contagious haemorrhagic fever have been recorded in DR Congo, according to the health ministry, with one death reported in neighbouring Uganda.
Medical aid group Doctors Without Borders said it was preparing a “large-scale response”, calling the rapid spread of the outbreak “extremely concerning”.
“The Bundibugyo strain has no vaccine, no specific treatment,” DR Congo’s Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba said Saturday. Earlier Saturday, ministry officials said the death toll had reached 80, up from 65 the previous day. The strain has also claimed one life in neighbouring Uganda, officials said Saturday, that of a Congolese national.
That correlated with an announcement late Friday by Uganda’s health ministry, which said a 59-year-old man from the DRC had died in Kampala after being admitted earlier in the week. Tests showed the victim in Uganda was infected with the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, first identified in 2007. Vaccines are only available for the Zaire strain, which was identified in 1976 and has a higher fatality rate of 60-90 per cent.
Health officials had confirmed the latest outbreak Friday in Ituri province in northeastern DR Congo, bordering Uganda and South Sudan, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention . Adding to concerns of spread are significant cross-border population movements in the region affected. According to Kamba, patient zero was a nurse who reported to a health facility in provincial capital Bunia on April 24, with symptoms suggesting Ebola.
MSF said it was mobilising medical, logistical and support staff to help respond to the outbreak.
“The number of cases and deaths we are seeing in such a short timeframe, combined with the spread across several health zones and now across the border, is extremely concerning,” says Trish Newport, MSF Emergency Programme Manager. Family members react as they watch a victim of the Ebola virus being buried in Butembo.
An outbreak of the ebola virus has been blamed for dozens of deaths in the east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, African health authorities said on May 15, 2026. — AFP file picIt is the 17th Ebola outbreak to hit DR Congo, and officials warned of a high risk of spread. The country’s health ministry said overnight the number of fatalities had risen to “246 suspected cases notified and 80 deaths”.
“It is a large outbreak,” said Jay Bhattacharya, acting director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday. The previous outbreak of Ebola, which has killed some 15,000 people in Africa over the past 50 years, despite advances in vaccines and treatment, was last August in the central region. Nearly 2,300 people died in the deadliest outbreak in the DRC between 2018 and 2020.
Ebola, believed to have originated in bats, is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure. According to the World Health Organization , outbreaks over the past half century have seen a mortality rate among those affected of between 25 per cent and 90 per cent.
The virus spreads from person to person through bodily fluids or exposure to the blood of an infected persons, who become contagious only once they display symptoms. The incubation period can last up to 21 days.
“Given the uncertainties and severity of the illness, there is concern about the scale of transmission in affected communities,” the WHO said Friday as it prepared to airlift five tonnes of material including infection prevention gear from Kinshasa. Large-scale transport of medical equipment is a challenge in DR Congo, a country of more than 100 million people which is four times the size of France but has poor communications infrastructure. — AFP
Bundibugyo Strain Samuel-Roger Kamba Doctors Without Borders Ituri Province Africa CDC
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Deadly Ebola outbreak declared in eastern DR CongoFour deaths linked to the virus have been confirmed through laboratory testing, while 246 suspected cases - including 65 deaths - have been recorded.
Read more »
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Providing Technical Assistance to Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda Amid Ebola Outbreak ReportsThe US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is monitoring reports of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda and providing technical assistance to their governments, as Africa's top public health agency confirmed a confirmed Ebola outbreak in Ituri province with 65 deaths out of 246 suspected cases, while Uganda's health ministry reported a Congolese man's death in Kampala of Ebola Bundibugyo. The CDC's acting director stated that the agency has extensive experience and expertise in responding to Ebola outbreaks and will mobilize its resources as needed.
Read more »
Rafiki Fariala survived war, found music and just lit up Cannes with ‘Congo Boy’PARIS, May 16 — The premiere of Congo Boy yesterday was like no other the Cannes Film Festival has ever seen, with director Rafiki Fariala — who also wrote its catchy...
Read more »
Johor Pakatan: Barisan's Indepedence May Usher In a Closed Chapter on State-Level Political PactJOHOR BARU: Johor Barisan Nasional's decision to contest the upcoming state polls independently signals that the doors to political cooperation with Pakatan Harapan have been shut at the state level, suggests political analyst Aminolhuda Hassan.
Read more »
