Trump cancels ‘planned’ massive strike on Iran inside Hormuz truce he declared

Washington News

Trump cancels ‘planned’ massive strike on Iran inside Hormuz truce he declared
Donald TrumpIranGulf Arab

WASHINGTON, May 19 — US President Donald Trump said he was planning a major new assault on Iran on Tuesday, but held off as he saw hope for securing a so far elusive agreement to...

Court of Appeal upholds 30‑year jail term for ex‑lecturer for murder, firing gun during bank robbery in Selangor Only Singapore and Vietnam still carry out executions in SE Asia, Amnesty says; five Malaysians among 17 put to deathUS President Donald Trump speaks during an event in the South Court Auditorium of The White House in Washington , DC on May 18, 2026.

— AFP pic! Plus, enjoy an additional FREE RM10 when you sign up using code VERSAMM10 with a min. cash-in of RM100 today. T&Cs apply. WASHINGTON, May 19 — US President Donald Trump said he was planning a major new assault on Iran on Tuesday, but held off as he saw hope for securing a so far elusive agreement to end the war.

Trump said that he stopped his purported attack plan at the urging of Gulf Arab allies, which Iran has threatened with reciprocal attacks if the United States and Israel end a nearly six-week ceasefire. Trump, who had indefinitely extended the truce and made clear he wants to exit a war that has proven to be a political liability, said he had prepared a new attack for Tuesday after Iran refused his outlines of a deal.

The leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates asked him “to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform. But Trump added he had instructed the US military to be “prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.

” Speaking later at a White House event, Trump said there had been a “very positive development” and that Arab allies said a deal was near that would leave Iran without nuclear weapons, which Tehran denies pursuing.

“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy,” Trump said. Iran has repeatedly rebuffed Trump’s offers and has exerted control over the Strait of Hormuz, the vital waterway into the Gulf, sending global oil prices spiralling. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei confirmed exchanges with the United States through mediator Pakistan and said Tehran made clear its “concerns.

” The cleric-run state, whose supreme leader was killed in the initial strikes on February 28 but has proven resilient, is demanding the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad, the lifting of long-standing sanctions and reparations for the war. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, considered a moderate in a system increasingly dominated since the war by the hardline Revolutionary Guards, said that speaking with Washington “does not mean surrender” and that Iran would defend its “dignity” and rights.

Iran’s Fars news agency said Sunday that Washington had presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States. US authorities had refused to release “even 25 per cent” of Iran’s frozen assets or pay any reparations, Fars said.

But Iran’s Tasnim news agency, citing an unnamed source close to the Iranian negotiating team, said the United States made one new step forward in the latest text by agreeing to waive oil sanctions while negotiations were underway. In an earlier proposal, which was sent last week, Iran had called for an end to the war on all fronts, including Israel’s campaign in Lebanon, as well as a halt to a US naval blockade on Iranian ports in place since April 13.

Fars said the Iranian proposal had emphasised that Tehran would continue to manage the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a vital energy conduit which Iran has largely kept closed since the start of the war. On Monday, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority, a new body Iran has set up to manage the strait, said it would provide “real-time updates” on the waterway via X. The Revolutionary Guards also said Monday that internet fibre optic cables passing through the strait could be brought under an Iranian system of permits.

Hoping to control oil prices, the US Treasury extended by 30 days a sanctions waiver for Russian oil cargoes already at sea, continuing to ease the pressure on Moscow since its 2022 invasion of Ukraine. The Revolutionary Guards on Monday said they struck groups linked to the United States and Israel within the Iranian province of Kurdistan, near the border with Iraq.

In a statement carried by the ISNA news agency, the Guards said groups from “northern Iraq and acting on behalf of the US and the Zionist regime were attempting to smuggle a large shipment of American weapons and ammunition” into Iran. Raising fears even higher in the region, a drone strike on Sunday – unclaimed but which a UAE official appeared to blame on Iran – triggered a fire near a nuclear power station in the emirate of Abu Dhabi.

Trita Parsi, a critic of the war who is executive vice president of the Washington-based Quincy Institute think tank, said that Trump’s latest message aimed to reframe the narrative to show himself in control of developments. The Gulf Arabs’ warning against an attack “could be true, but either way, they provide him with a face-saving exit from his previous threats,” he said. — AFP

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

malaymail /  🏆 1. in MY

Donald Trump Iran Gulf Arab Strait Of Hormuz Revolutionary Guards

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Trump says Xi offered help on Iran as China seeks to keep Hormuz openTrump says Xi offered help on Iran as China seeks to keep Hormuz openPETALING JAYA: Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad say their move to Parti Bersama Malaysia is not political 'party-hopping' as they have voluntarily given up their parliamentary seats.
Read more »

US President Postpones Attack on Iran Amid Negotiations with Tehran, Gulf AlliesUS President Postpones Attack on Iran Amid Negotiations with Tehran, Gulf AlliesUS President Donald Trump postponed a planned military attack on Iran at the request of Gulf leaders, leading to speculation about the current state of peace talks with Iran and the potential for conflict resolution. The postpousement decision suggests that an acceptable deal with Iran is not yet reached, though the Iranian side insists on some key points regarding the management of the Strait of Hormuz.
Read more »

Hormuz traffic rebounds to wartime average after record low; Iran formalises crossing tollHormuz traffic rebounds to wartime average after record low; Iran formalises crossing tollLONDON, May 19 — Traffic through the Strait of Hormuz was slightly higher last week, returning to levels in line with the average recorded since the start of the Middle East...
Read more »

Asian Shares Wobble, Oil Prices Crash After Trump's Iran Comment and Energy Shortages in HormuzAsian Shares Wobble, Oil Prices Crash After Trump's Iran Comment and Energy Shortages in HormuzA day after Donald Trump claimed there was a 'very good chance' of a nuclear deal with Iran and paused a planned attack, oil prices plummeted, causing a wobbliness in Asian shares.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-19 06:24:54