MANILA, May 17 — The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest ex-president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in...
The Philippine government under Ferdinand Marcos Jr says Senator Ronald dela Rosa , the chief enforcer of former president Rodrigo Duterte ’s deadly ‘war on drugs,’ cannot seek court protection while evading arrest to face international criminal charges.
— Reuters pic! Plus, enjoy an additional FREE RM10 when you sign up using code VERSAMM10 with a min. cash-in of RM100 today. T&Cs apply. MANILA, May 17 — The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest ex-president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal.
The International Criminal Court last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Senator Ronald Dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “co-perpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder”. Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him.
“By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of the law,” the government’s chief lawyer, Solicitor-General Darlene Berberabe, said in a filing that asked the court to dismiss Dela Rosa’s petition. “Until he submits himself to lawful authorities, he must be deemed a fugitive from justice and should not be allowed to seek any relief from the courts,” said the document, dated May 16 but only made available to the media on Sunday.
Dela Rosa’s current whereabouts were unknown after he discreetly left the Senate building on Thursday. The justice department said Friday the ICC warrant would only be served once the Supreme Court resolves Dela Rosa’s Supreme Court petition – unless he tried to flee abroad in which case he would be detained. Dela Rosa has said the ICC warrant was illegal since the Philippines pulled out in 2019 from the treaty that created the tribunal.
Berberabe argued that withdrawal from the treaty “does not relieve a state party from cooperating in proceedings already initiated before the ICC”. The bloody campaign, launched by Duterte after being elected president in 2016, left thousands dead, many of them drug users and low-level narcotics peddlers, according to human rights monitors. Duterte was arrested in March last year, flown to the Netherlands on the same day, and is detained in The Hague awaiting trial.
After retirement, he was elected to the Senate in 2019 and retained his seat in last year’s midterm elections. — AFP
Rodrigo Duterte Ronald Dela Rosa International Criminal Court Philippine Supreme Court Drug War Crackdown
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Power grid collapse leaves millions sweltering in Philippines amid record-breaking heatMANILA, May 15 — Widespread power cuts struck the Philippines Friday, leaving millions without electricity in the tropical nation’s hottest month of the year.The National Grid...
Read more »
Philippines warns Duterte ally Dela Rosa against fleeing amid ICC warrantMANILA, May 15 — The Philippines vowed today to stop the chief enforcer of ex-president Rodrigo Duterte’s drug war from fleeing the country to evade an International Criminal...
Read more »
Senator wanted by ICC warned against fleeing the PhilippinesKUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman will investigate claims that fugitive financier Low Taek Jho returned to Malaysia for secret meetings.
Read more »
Mayon Volcano in the Philippines Intensifies Unrest, Erupting Sulfur Dioxide and LavaThe Mayon Volcano in the Philippines has been showing signs of intensified unrest, with authorities reporting dozens of volcanic earthquakes and tremors over the past 24 hours while maintaining Alert Level 3. The volcano has been emitting sulfur dioxide and lava, with lava flows extending several kilometres along the Basud, Bonga, and Mi-isi gullies.
Read more »



