‘Prerequisite for stability’: Indonesia boosts defences with new fighter jets

Indonesia News

‘Prerequisite for stability’: Indonesia boosts defences with new fighter jets
Prabowo SubiantoRafale JetsDassault Falcon 8X

JAKARTA, May 18 — Indonesia will continue boosting its defence capabilities, President Prabowo Subianto said today, citing uncertain times as he presented new military hardware,...

Thank you for your service: Hannah Yeoh says Setiawangsa residents will continue to be supported in wake of Nik Nazmi’s resignation MARA chairman hits back at critics of tahfiz placements in pilot training program, says tahfiz students, schools among best in country Court of Appeal upholds 30‑year jail term for ex‑lecturer for murder, firing gun during bank robbery in Selangor Indonesia n President Prabowo Subianto looks inside the cockpit of a Rafale jet fighter during a ceremony to hand over six new Rafale jet fighters, four Dassault Falcon 8X aircrafts and one Airbus A400M Atlas aircraft to the Indonesia n Air Force at Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in Jakarta on May 18, 2026.

— AFP pic! Plus, enjoy an additional FREE RM10 when you sign up using code VERSAMM10 with a min. cash-in of RM100 today. T&Cs apply. JAKARTA, May 18 — Indonesia will continue boosting its defence capabilities, President Prabowo Subianto said today, citing uncertain times as he presented new military hardware, including six French-made Rafale jets, to the air force.

The Southeast Asian nation, which pursues a policy of diplomatic non-alignment, must “continue to improve our defence capabilities to serve as a deterrent”, Prabowo told reporters at a ceremony at a military air base in Jakarta.

“We observe that the global geopolitical landscape is fraught with uncertainty, and we recognise that defence is a primary prerequisite for stability,” he added. Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto walks with high-ranking officials while inspecting six new Rafale jet fighters, six Dassault Falcon 8X aircrafts and two Airbus A400M Atlas transport planes being handed over to the Indonesian Air Force during a ceremony at Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in Jakarta on May 18, 2026.

— AFP pic Prabowo inspected defence equipment recently procured for the Indonesian military, including four Dassault Falcon 8X jets and an Airbus A400M Atlas transport aircraft, according to a presidential palace statement. Jakarta signed an US$8.1 billion deal in 2022 under then-defence minister Prabowo to purchase 42 French-made Rafale fighters. Six of the jets have been delivered so far — three in January and another three today, defence ministry spokesman Rico Ricardo Sirait told AFP.

“The government views the strengthening of defence equipment not merely as the procurement of combat platforms, but as a strategic investment aimed at safeguarding sovereignty, national honour and national defence readiness,” Rico said. Prabowo, a former military general who came to power in 2024, has sought to modernise Indonesia’s ageing military assets.

The logo of the Indonesian Air Force’s Air Squadron 3 is seen on the tail of a Rafale jet fighter during a ceremony to hand over six new Rafale jet fighters, six Dassault Falcon 8X aircrafts and two Airbus A400M Atlas transport planes to the Indonesian Air Force at Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in Jakarta on May 18, 2026. — AFP pic He met French President Emmanuel Macron last month in Paris, where the leaders discussed bolstering strategic cooperation, including through the “procurement of defence equipment and the strengthening of the defence industry”, according to an Indonesian government statement.

A security analyst told AFP today that Indonesia was unlikely to withdraw from the Rafale procurement contract despite rising budget pressures in economically uncertain times. Southeast Asia’s largest economy is a net oil importer and is facing pressures from rising crude prices due to the Middle East war, even as the government insists on leaving subsidised fuel prices unchanged.

“A further question is whether the government’s emergency savings will be used in this procurement process,” said Christian Guntur Lebang, a researcher with the LAB 45 think tank.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

malaymail /  🏆 1. in MY

Prabowo Subianto Rafale Jets Dassault Falcon 8X Airbus A400M Emmanuel Macron

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Former PKR MPs to Quit, May Not Lead to By-electionFormer PKR MPs to Quit, May Not Lead to By-electionPakatan Harapan deputy chairman Anthony Loke said it was up to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul to decide on the holding of a by-election following the decision of two PKR MPs to leave their party. He suggested that even if asked to vacate, there is no necessity to have a by-election as it has already passed the three year mark.
Read more »

Muslims in Singapore and Indonesia to celebrate Hari Raya Aisiladha on May 27Muslims in Singapore and Indonesia to celebrate Hari Raya Aisiladha on May 27ICYMI.
Read more »

KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton Indonesia Engkel; Pendapat Pengarah BAM Mengenai Keterbatasan Prestasi Lelaki IndonesiaKUALA LUMPUR: Badminton Indonesia Engkel; Pendapat Pengarah BAM Mengenai Keterbatasan Prestasi Lelaki IndonesiaPresiden Persatuan Badminton Malaysia (BAM), Datuk Seri Tengku Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz menyatakan bahawa prestasi perseorangan lelaki negara masih belum mencapai tahap yang disimpulkan selepas aksi hambar dipamerkan dalam beberapa kejohanan utama ini. Beliau mengesahkan bahawa kelemahan utama pemain sekarang bukan daripada sudut kemahiran semata-mata, sebaliknya kegagalan aspek disiplin dan kekuatan mental yang diperlukan di gelanggang. "Sekiranya dikehendaki, kita akan beri perhatian yang lebih serius kepada pembangunan perseorangan dari akar umbi," katanya.
Read more »

Popular Jakarta Restaurant Apologies After Mistaking Malaysian Tourists for Non-payersPopular Jakarta Restaurant Apologies After Mistaking Malaysian Tourists for Non-payersAfter issuing a public apology, a Jakarta restaurant admitted a misunderstanding and apologized for wrongly accusing a group of Malaysian tourists of failing to pay for their meal.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-19 06:26:23