US Central Command commander avoids responsibility for school attack in Iran, denying involvement and citing ‘complex’ probe

International News

US Central Command commander avoids responsibility for school attack in Iran, denying involvement and citing ‘complex’ probe
US Forces In The Middle EastMiddle East ConflictIranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)

A top commander of US forces in the Middle East downplays responsibility for a school attack in Iran that killed 155 people, insisting a thorough investigation is ongoing.

WASHINGTON: A top commander of US forces in the Middle East avoided taking responsibility Tuesday for an attack on a school in Iran that left 155 people dead on day one of the war, insisting a “complex” probe continues.

Admiral Brad Cooper, the commander of US Central Command , told a congressional oversight panel that “the school itself is located on an active IRGC cruise missile base,” making the investigation “more complex than the average strike. ” IRGC stands for Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. The attack killed 73 boys, 47 girls, 26 teachers, seven parents, a school bus driver, and another adult in the southern city of Minab on Feb 28, according to Iranian state media.

The United States has repeated avoided assuming responsibility for the tragedy. Cooper was responding to questioning by House Armed Services Committee Ranking Member Adam Smith, a Democrat, who said that, “in the past, when we’ve had these types of mistakes, they have been quickly acknowledged, even if a further investigation is necessary. ” Cooper promised to share the results of the investigation when it was complete.

Smith responded by saying, “So that’s a ‘no.’ We will not take responsibility for something we very obviously did. ” The New York Times has previously reported that the school was hit by a US Tomahawk cruise missile, a weapon which Iran does not possess. CNN has also reported that the US was responsible for the attack. US President Donald Trump initially claimed that Iran itself might be behind the attack because “they have no accuracy whatsoever” with their munitions.

House Democrats filed impeachment proceedings against Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in the wake of the attack, although this was largely seen as symbolic given Republican control of the chamber. Iran first claimed that more than 175 teachers and students were killed, before later revising the death toll. AFP has been unable to access the location to independently verify details reported by Iranian media. Israel has consistently denied any involvement in the attack.

US officials, including military leaders, have repeatedly said they do not target civilians.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

fmtoday /  🏆 5. in MY

US Forces In The Middle East Middle East Conflict Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Tomahawk Cruise Missile School Attack In Iran Congressional Oversight Panel Iranian State Media Blaming Iran For The Attack Pete Hegseth

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

US President Warns Iran Of Consequences For Failing To Reach Peace DealUS President Warns Iran Of Consequences For Failing To Reach Peace DealDonald Trump's warning to Iran implies urgency for reaching a peace agreement to avoid catastrophic consequences, following the latest round of failed negotiations.
Read more »

US Warns Iran Over Middle East ConflictUS Warns Iran Over Middle East ConflictPresident Trump issued a new warning to Iran, saying they had to end the conflict soon and move quickly. For Iran, the clock is ticking."
Read more »

Three people killed at San Diego mosque complex, shooters found dead from self-inflicted woundsThree people killed at San Diego mosque complex, shooters found dead from self-inflicted woundsA shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego resulted in the deaths of three people, including a security guard, with the shooters later found dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a car.
Read more »

Iran's Latest War Proposal Insists on Right to Uranium Enrichment and Peaceful Nuclear ActivitiesIran's Latest War Proposal Insists on Right to Uranium Enrichment and Peaceful Nuclear ActivitiesIran revealed details of its most recent proposal to end the ongoing war with the US and Israel. The proposal emphasizes Iran's right to uranium enrichment and peaceful nuclear activities. It also includes an end to conflicts, the lifting of the US naval blockade, the release of Iranian assets, and compensation for war damage. Additionally, Iran demands the removal of all unilateral sanctions and UN Security Council resolutions and the withdrawal of US forces from areas surrounding Iran.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-20 00:27:59