Kimi Antonelli, an Italian teenager, seeks to become the first driver ever to win four consecutive races in Formula One as Mercedes team-mate George Russell prepares to challenge for his team's authority.
Kimi Antonelli celebrates with his team after placing first at the Miami Grand Prix earlier this month as the teenage Mercedes star continues his impressive rise in Formula One .
— AFP pic! Plus, enjoy an additional FREE RM10 when you sign up using code VERSAMM10 with a min. cash-in of RM100 today. T&Cs apply. MONTREAL, May 21 — Italian teenager Kimi Antonelli seeks a sensational fourth consecutive victory to boost his F1 drivers’ title bid this weekend, but expects a robust response from Mercedes team-mate George Russell at the Canadian Grand Prix.
The 19-year-old rising star of Italian sport leads the Briton, nine years his senior and the pre-season favourite for the title, by 20 points after four rounds of the 22-race championship as Mercedes unveil a major upgrade package. For Russell, it is important to re-establish his authority in the team after two fourth-place finishes allowed his team-mate to revel in being the sole Silver Arrows man, astride the top of the podium.
“I am expecting George, for sure, to be super-strong again in Canada,” said Antonelli, whose precocious talent, wide smile and curly hair have become an image Italian sporting optimism following their football team’s failure to qualifying for the World Cup. “He’s always been strong in Montreal and he won last year so I have to be ready and be fully focused. I will do my best.
” In addition to his hat-trick of pole, victory and fastest lap last year, Russell took pole at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in 2024 and will fancy his chances of winning both Saturday’s sprint race and Sunday’s Grand Prix. This time, he hopes to be the first Italian since Alberto Ascari in 1952 to claim four straight wins, when he reeled off six.
Mercedes’ team chief Toto Wolff has side-stepped frenzied talk of Antonelli’s prospects to concentrate on keeping balanced and cool.
“We are just four races into the season and there is a long year ahead. It is an important race for us, but it does not decide anything. So, we stay balanced, keep learning and execute as well as we can.
”The championship-leading Silver Arrows men are likely to be challenged by Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull, with four-time champion Max Verstappen, who took part at the Nurburgring 24-Hours race last weekend, aiming to add to his three previous wins for Red Bull. World champion Lando Norris won the sprint last year ahead of McLaren team-mate Oscar Piastri, but the pair collided in the Grand Prix which ended up finishing behind a safety car.
Lewis Hamilton and his Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc will also be strong contenders despite team boss Fred Vasseur grumbling about rule changes, notably to the starting procedures, that have negated an advantage they enjoyed.
“It was a bit harsh for us,” he said of the introduction of a blue light five-second warning to ensure teams spooled up their turbos. “I understand what they did, for safety grounds, but the other option would have been to ask the others to start from the pit-lane if they think it’s not safe.
” Lance Stroll will be the only Canadian in the race, but like team-mate Fernando Alonso has little optimism as Aston Martin have struggled for performance with an uncompetitive Honda engine. Alonso has hinted he is likely to retire from F1 and will decide his future during the summer months of the European leg of the season. — AFP
Formula One Kimi Antonelli George Russell Mercedes Circuit Gilles Villeneuve Alberto Ascari
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Penang volunteer fire brigades lodge police report over Facebook claims linking them to money launderingGEORGE TOWN, May 19 — Penang volunteer fire brigades have lodged a police report against a Facebook user over allegations linking the organisations to money laundering and tax...
Read more »
PRU-16: Persediaan Pulau Pinang kini 75 peratusGEORGE TOWN : Persediaan kerajaan negeri Pulau Pinang bagi menghadapi Pilihan Raya Umum ke-16 (PRU-16) ketika ini telah mencapai tahap 75 peratus.
Read more »
Verstappen’s Nuerburgring charge ends with a bang and a rattlePARIS, May 18 — Max Verstappen’s luckless pursuit of an endurance racing victory again ended in disappointment yesterday as his Mercedes broke down when leading the 24 Hours of...
Read more »
Gangguan air di Barat Daya: 30 sekolah antara yang terjejasGEORGE TOWN : Kira-kira 30 buah sekolah dalam daerah Barat Daya di sini berdepan masalah gangguan bekalan air tidak berjadual bermula hari ini.
Read more »
