A new study suggests that a tiny, icy world beyond Pluto harbours a thin, delicate atmosphere that may have been created by volcanic eruptions or a comet strike.
Private Chinese company Landbridge acquired a 99 year lease to Darwin Port in 2015, prompting criticism of Australia from then-US President Barack Obama. - Photo: AFP SYDNEY, : Australia 's defence minister Richard Marles said Thursday that Canberra was"disappointed" the Chinese leaseholder of the strategic Darwin Port was challenging efforts to return it to local ownership.
Private Chinese company Landbridge acquired a 99 year lease to Darwin Port in 2015, prompting criticism of Australia from then-US president Barack Obama. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese pledged last year to return the northern port -- which sits across the harbour from a defence base hosting 2,000 US Marines annually and tarmacs upgraded for US bomber aircraft -- to Australian ownership.
In April, Landbridge's billionaire owner Ye Cheng lodged a complaint in the World Bank's tribunal for investment disputes, alleging Australia's push for the company to sell the port had breached its free trade agreement with China and was taking a discriminatory approach.
"We're committed to putting the Port of Darwin back into Australian hands," Marles told reporters Thursday on a visit to Darwin. "We're disappointed about the steps that have been taken to put this toward the place of an international tribunal. Obviously, we will do everything in our power to defend that matter," he said. Darwin is Australia's closest port to Asia, and cargo shipments of commodities including iron ore and liquefied natural gas to China have dominated trade ties.
In January, China's ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian warned if Landbridge were forced to leave the port it could impact wider trade and investment between China and Australia. - AFPIndonesian markets slip on policy jitters, Asian shares get Nvidia boost
Darwin Port Richard Marles Landbridge Anthony Albanese US Marines Ye Cheng World Bank Tribunal China Trade Embassy Warning
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
‘Chinese cartel’: US indicts seven executives, four firms over shipping container price-fixingWASHINGTON, May 20 — The US yesterday announced the indictment of seven Chinese executives and four of the world’s largest shipping container manufacturers for allegedly...
Read more »
Chinese national to be charged in Singapore over alleged bank card theft on flightSINGAPORE, May 20 — Singapore authorities are expected to charge a Chinese national today after he allegedly stole two bank cards from another passenger during a flight from...
Read more »
Zhang Linghe fans bought digital billboards in Times Square to welcome Chinese actor to NYCThe bleak, dramatic sci-fi series Battlestar Galactica is more than two decades old, but indie video game Shattered Hopes has yanked some fans back into action defending a makeshift human fleet against genocidal Cylon raiders.
Read more »
Doctor Writes Open Letter Urging Not To Politicise Chinese Medical Appointment BookletsDr Eric Tuang said healthcare workers are trained to treat patients regardless of race.
Read more »



