CARACAS (Reuters) - Two dozen Venezuelan women's soccer players said in an open letter on Tuesday that many players had suffered years of sexual abuse and harassment by a former coach of the national team, Kenneth Zseremeta.
In the letter posted to Twitter by Deyna Castellanos - a player on the national team and Atletico de Madrid in Spain - the players asked World soccer governing body FIFA, as well as other soccer organizations and leagues to not allow Zseremeta, who is of Panamanian nationality, to continue working in women's soccer.
The letter said one unnamed player said she was abused by Zseremeta in 2014 when she was 14 years old. "Many of us still have trauma and mental wounds that accompany us in our daily lives," the players wrote.Venezuela's chief prosecutor Tarek Saab said in a late Tuesday tweet that he had assigned a prosecutor to open a criminal investigation into Zseremeta."We are committed to ensure respect for women in this sport," the FVF tweeted late Tuesday."As a federation, we support women today and at all times.
The allegation by the players comes several months after several women accused a prominent Venezuelan writer, Willy McKee, of sexual misconduct. McKee in April confessed on Instagram to committing statutory rape and was later found dead after falling nine stories from a building.
Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Soccer-Australian FA will probe allegations of abuse in women's gameSYDNEY (Reuters) - Football Australia say they will investigate any allegations of abuse in the women's game after recently retired international striker Lisa De Vanna said she had been the victim of sexual assault, harassment and bullying during her career.
Read more »
Soccer-Pivotal Pogba offers France link between team and coachPARIS (Reuters) - Didier Deschamps was coach Aime Jacquet's voice on the pitch when France won the World Cup in 1998, but now he is the one sitting in the dugout he has found his own trusted lieutenant in Paul Pogba.
Read more »
Soccer-Argentina coach vows no repeat of quarantine chaosBUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Argentina’s England-based players will stay for all three of their South American World Cup qualifying games in the current window and “under no circumstances” return early due to quarantine rules, coach Lionel Scaloni said on Wednesday.
Read more »
Soccer-Courage were unaware of sexual misconduct allegations against coach, says ownerNEW YORK (Reuters) - North Carolina Courage owner Steve Malik said the team only became aware of sexual harassment and coercion allegations against former coach Paul Riley when they were reported last week.
Read more »
Soccer-Fixture congestion means players are far from their best, says PFA chiefLONDON (Reuters) - Players are playing too many fixtures and are not performing at their best, the head of the English Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) said on Wednesday.
Read more »
Soccer-Player charged with attempted murder after attacking refereeSAO PAULO (Reuters) - A Brazilian soccer player has been charged with attempted murder after he brutally kicked a referee in the head during a lower league game in the south of the country.
Read more »