UN says terrain, remote location hamper relief after landslide buries hundreds in PNG

Malaysia News News

UN says terrain, remote location hamper relief after landslide buries hundreds in PNG
Malaysia Latest News,Malaysia Headlines
  • 📰 asiaonecom
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 23 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 13%
  • Publisher: 59%

SYDNEY — Unstable terrain, remote locations and damaged roads are hampering relief efforts in Papua New Guinea after more than 670 people were feared killed in a landslide last week in the Pacific nation's north, the United Nations said on Monday (May 27).

A locals gather amid the damage after a landslide in Maip Mulitaka, Enga province, Papua New Guinea May 24, 2024 in this obtained image.SYDNEY — Unstable terrain, remote locations and damaged roads are hampering relief efforts in Papua New Guinea after more than 670 people were feared killed in a landslide last week in the Pacific nation's north, the United Nations said on Monday .

Social media footage posted by villagers and local media teams showed people scaling rocks, digging with shovels, sticks and their bare hands to find survivors. Women could be heard weeping in the background. Johnson and Jacklyn Yandam told local NBC News that they were very grateful and described their rescue as a miracle.

Aktoprak said that the rescue team had eight vehicles but that he hoped to receive additional resources soon.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

asiaonecom /  🏆 10. in SG

Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Papua New Guinea continue rescue efforts after hundreds feared killed in landslidePapua New Guinea continue rescue efforts after hundreds feared killed in landslideMore than 150 houses were buried following the May 24 landslide.
Read more »

Papua New Guinea continues rescue efforts after hundreds feared killed in landslidePapua New Guinea continues rescue efforts after hundreds feared killed in landslideMore than 150 houses were buried following the May 24 landslide.
Read more »

Five bodies retrieved from Papua New Guinea landslide, UN official saysFive bodies retrieved from Papua New Guinea landslide, UN official saysMedia in the Pacific nation north of Australia said the landslide on May 24 buried more than 300 people.
Read more »

UN raises Papua New Guinea landslide death toll estimate to 670UN raises Papua New Guinea landslide death toll estimate to 670PORT MORESBY: More than 670 people are believed to be dead after a massive landslide in Papua New Guinea, a United Nations official told AFP on Sunday (May 26) as aid workers and villagers braved perilous conditions in their search for survivors.
Read more »

More than 670 feared dead in Papua New Guinea landslide, UN agency saysMore than 670 feared dead in Papua New Guinea landslide, UN agency saysThe International Organisation for Migration said only five bodies had been retrieved from the rubble.
Read more »

More than 300 buried in Papua New Guinea landslideMore than 300 buried in Papua New Guinea landslideAt least four bodies have been pulled from the debris.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 05:00:22