There is no such thing as a safe level of alcohol consumption, according to new guidelines from Canada. What does this mean for moderate drinkers?
or nine small glasses of wine. Previously, men had been advised to stay below 21 units a week. The UK’s chief medical officers also made it clear that “there is no level of regular drinking that can be considered as completely safe”.
It’s the reason he would like to see better and clearer alcohol labelling – not necessarily the scary images that cigarette manufacturers were forced to adopt, but a health warning and a clear indication of the number of units. “I think guidelines and labels are part of the same story,” says Piper.Photograph: Colin Bowling/Alamy
It is “absolutely reasonable” to conclude, says Gautam Mehta, an associate professor in hepatology at University College London, “the safest amounts of alcohol to drink is zero. There’s no absolute safe level of consumption – the data is good on that. There’s a very small benefit in ischemic heart disease, with a very small volume of alcohol, but that’s completely offset by cancer and other risks.
The definition of a ‘binge’ is probably lower than you think: about six units for women and eight for men
Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Dance in the dark! Hang upside down! 50 ways to escape a January fun rutStruggling to shake off the post-Christmas blues? Fear not: Guardian readers, writers and celebrities including Bear Grylls, Marie Kondo and Anneka Rice are here to help
Read more »
When this football star fell pregnant her club refused to pay her. Now, she's won a landmark caseThe ruling is the first of its kind since FIFA's maternity regulations came into force in January 2021.
Read more »
Brazilian rioters charged over storming of congress as new president sacks 'complicit' military troopsBrazil's new leader removes 40 troops guarding the presidential residence after expressing distrust in the military for failing to prevent demonstrators from ransacking government buildings on January 8.
Read more »
Texas prisoners continue hunger strike in protest against solitary confinementInmates across the state have been refusing food since 10 January to protest being held in isolation in some cases for decades
Read more »
Canberrans to gather to mark 20 years since devastating bushfiresCanberrans will gather today to mark the 20th anniversary of the devastating bushfires, which claimed the lives of four people and injured more than 400. The bushfire began after an electrical storm ignited a series of spot fires in drought-stricken national parks. By January 18, thousands of locals fled Canberra as firefighters struggled to contain the huge fire tornado. A vigil will be held tonight at the Stromlo Forest Bushfire Memorial as locals gather to pay tribute to bushfire victims.
Read more »