Sudan is in its fifth month of war. And while thousands need help in Libya and Morocco, millions are in dire need in Sudan.
Only 26% of the needed R48.83 billion aid funding has been made available.More than 50 human rights groups mostly operating in Africa are calling for attention for war-torn Sudan, as world leaders are set to gather in New York for the United Nations 78th General Assembly.
That war, between the Sudanese Armed Forces of the de facto head of state, General Abdul Fattah al-Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces of Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo is now in its fifth month, and has done enormous harm to civilians.to the western region of Darfur and the southern states of South Kordofan and Blue Nile.
Briefing the UN Security Council last week, Perthes said:"This conflict is leaving a tragic legacy of human rights abuses. Indiscriminate attacks against civilians committed by the warring parties constitute gross violations of human rights."By the UN's numbers, 5 000 people have been killed, and 12 000 injured, while more than a million have been forced into exile in neighbouring countries.
The human rights groups in their statement suggested"a more unified approach that better represents the voices and perspectives of Sudan's civilians, including women, youth, and representatives from the historically marginalised periphery".For their part, they said they were more than prepared to call for more aid to be channelled to Sudan.
Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Sudan: A Fragile Opportunity for Peace in SudanThe long-suffering country of Sudan caught a glimpse of peace late last month. General Mohammed Dagalo (aka Nemeti), head of the paramilitary Rapid Security Force (RSF) whose conflict with General Abdel Fattah al Burhan's army tore the country apart, issued a statement with a peace plan offering democratic elections and the merging of two armies.
Read more »
Sudan: UN's Sudan Envoy Steps Down After Difficulties With GovernmentThe United Nations' top envoy in Sudan is stepping down, four months after being told by the government to leave. In parting remarks, he criticized Sudan's military and the rebel Rapid Support Forces, or RSF.
Read more »
Sudan paramilitary threatens to set up authority with Khartoum as capitalThe head of Sudan's main paramilitary group threatened on Thursday to set up a governing authority in areas his forces control if his enemies in the army form a government.
Read more »
Sudan refugees bring off-season tourism to Egypt's AswanThousands fleeing war in Sudan have taken refuge in the Egyptian city of Aswan on the Nile, where families are helping keep the tourism industry afloat far from the horrors they left behind. During the winter months, the city fills with Egyptian and international travellers -- drawn by the abundance of Pharaonic sites, views of the Nile River and warm weather.
Read more »
UN Food Agency Launches Emergency Plan to Fight Hunger in SudanSince mid-April 2023 in Sudan, a war of domination between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has been raging, Ayin English reports. The capital city Khartoum has witnessed some of the most intense fighting that has led to a mass exodus of residents. Many people have taken to social media to post videos of soldiers under the hashtag RSF_loots_houses. The posts say that as the RSF has taken over parts of Khartoum, its soldiers have entered, looted, or occupied people's property. On Monday, the UN food security agency launched an emergency response plan to provide essential support to communities in Sudan grappling with the devastating effects of the ongoing conflict. Over the coming year, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) will distribute seeds, livestock treatment kits and provide veterinary and fisheries support to boost crop production, improve seed diversification and protect animal stock from depleting.
Read more »
Central Africa: CAR Grapples With Sudan Refugee Crisis, UN Chief Appeals for Int'l AidThe United Nations Resident Coordinator in the Central African Republic, Mohamed Ayweya, urged the international community not to abandon nations facing mounting global and regional crises. Speaking at a press conference in the Geneva UN HQ on Wednesday, he emphasised this point, citing the recent influx of approximately 70,000 individuals from Sudan into Central Africa overnight, which has compounded the nation's existing humanitarian challenges.
Read more »