A more stringent method to process business licence applications will be adopted by Johor Baru City Council to ensure entertainment outlets do not exploit a loophole.
Applications are open in Johor Baru for Ramadan bazaar trading lots. This file photo of a bazaar at Taman Suria was taken before the Covid-19 pandemic. A more stringent method to process business licence applications will be adopted by Johor Baru City Council to ensure entertainment outlets do not exploit a loophole.
Johor Baru mayor Datuk Noorazam Osman said since the start of the movement control order, entertainment outlet operators had tried to obtain other business licences such as for restaurant or cafe to keep their doors open.“It also goes against the standard operating procedure issued by the National Security Council. “Pubs and nightclubs are still not allowed to operate but some have been using restaurant or other licences to continue their business,” he added. Noorazam said raids conducted by the police and MBJB showed that some entertainment outlet operators had been committing the offence.He said although food and beverage was not the main focus at these premises, the operators had somehow obtained the licence. To prevent this, MBJB planned to refine and streamline the licence application process along with related authorities. “It may be done through the breakdown of restaurant licence categories with or without entertainment activities as well as the introduction of a work process structure for business licence applications as well as the requirement for advertisements so the authorities will have more control. “This is also an opportunity for all local authorities, district offices, police and other enforcement agencies to coordinate and speed up the application process so that there is no room for abuse in the future,” he said. On another issue, Noorazam said in conjunction with Chinese New Year, MBJB had approved 29 bazaar locations under the trade category, involving 84 parking spaces, as well as 14 locations under the hawker category, involving 60 gazetted parking spaces, open spaces and private areas.Muslims are expected to welcome the fasting month on April 3 while Hari Raya Aidilfitri is expected to fall on May 3. “Traders have been reminded to keep the business area clean and adhere to the SOP at bazaars,” he said, adding that further information was available through the MBJB licensing department. Noorazam also said the city council was extending the discount period for parking compound payment until Dec 31.He added that payment could be made at all main MBJB counters and branches, kiosks as well as online through its e-service system. MBJB would also be continuing with its JB Wake Up! Car Free Day programme, which had been postponed because of Covid-19. “The programme will be held soon around MBJB building at Jalan Dato’ Onn but with some minor changes in the routes for walking, jogging and cycling. “This is so people can enjoy the latest attractions that can be found in the Johor Baru city area in a safe environment. “The Car Free Day programme will be held in accordance with the Covid-19 SOP and MBJB will promote it through our social media platforms,” he added.



