Growing fears about a rapidly-spreading form of COVID-19 infecting people after 'fleeting contact' prompt Victorian health officials to strongly consider extending the seven-day lockdown.
Victoria is strongly considering extending the seven-day lockdown due to end at 11:59 on Thursday amid growing fears about rapid transmission in settings never seen before.Health experts say the Indian variant is easily transmissible through the air in crowded indoor settings"faster than any other strain we've dealt with."His comments came as a new positive case was identified in a
Victoria's COVID-19 testing commander Jeroen Weimar said the interactions were "very fleeting contact" and quite different to what we're used to seeing.Not with this outbreak though."What we're seeing now clearly is people who are, they're brushing past each other in a small shop, they're going around a display home, they're looking at phones in a Telstra shop," he said.
Experts have identified three subtypes: Cases in Victoria's latest cluster are infected with the first sublineage, B.1.617.1. Health experts are concerned about the spread of the virus in shops and markets, where people come into close contact."They've gone into a space and then very quickly were breathing air from somebody else … and got infected," he said.And of course no-one was wearing masks at the time — so that crucial layer of protection was missing.
"So the stakes are much higher, and they will come in through quarantine," she told Afternoon Briefing. "Small things like keeping your car window open if you are travelling with others, or opening a window at home even though it's cold will make a big difference," she said.
Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Victoria records five new local COVID-19 cases amid concern over 'mystery' aged care caseA locked-down Melbourne aged care home where a COVID-positive staffer worked will test residents again and offer them a chance to reconsider getting the jab.
Read more »
Victoria records six further cases of COVID-19ALERT: Victoria has recorded a further six local COVID-19 cases in addition to the five detected overnight. Public health teams are 'urgently investigating and interviewing' the cases. COVID19 9News
Read more »
Melbourne aged care resident and second worker among five new Victorian COVID-19 casesBreaking A second aged care worker and a resident at Arcare Maidstone in Melbourne are among five new COVID-19 cases recorded in Victoria.
Read more »
Victoria records three new local COVID-19 cases as list of Melbourne exposure sites growsBreaking Victoria has recorded nine new community-transmitted COVID-19 cases, including six previously reported, from more than 42,000 tests.
Read more »
Australia news LIVE: Victoria records three new COVID-19 cases as outbreak spreads to aged careMelbourne authorities are grappling with 4000 close contacts and more than 300 COVID-19 exposure sites, Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open and there are renewed calls for a public inquiry after Christian Porter discontinued his defamation claim against the ABC.
Read more »
Australia news LIVE: Victoria records three new COVID-19 cases as outbreak spreads to aged careMelbourne authorities are grappling with 4000 close contacts and more than 300 COVID-19 exposure sites, Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open and there are renewed calls for a public inquiry after Christian Porter discontinued his defamation claim against the ABC.
Read more »