Philippines to boost diplomacy and defence capability as South China Sea 'countermeasures'

Malaysia News News

Philippines to boost diplomacy and defence capability as South China Sea 'countermeasures'
Malaysia Latest News,Malaysia Headlines
  • 📰 TODAYonline
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 34 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 17%
  • Publisher: 99%

MANILA — Countermeasures by the Philippines to China's conduct in the South China Sea will entail strengthening its defence capabilities with allies and exhausting all diplomatic measures to resolve disputes, a security official said on Monday (April 1).

MANILA — Countermeasures by the Philippines to China's conduct in the South China Sea will entail strengthening its defence capabilities with allies and exhausting all diplomatic measures to resolve disputes, a security official said on Monday .Chinese Maritime Militia vessels are pictured near the Second Thomas Shoal in the South China Sea on March 5, 2024.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr last week said that the Philippines would implement unspecified measures against"illegal, coercive, aggressive, and dangerous attacks" by China's coastguard, upping the stakes in an escalating row in the South China Sea. Mr Marcos also ordered his government to strengthen its coordination on maritime security to confront"a range of serious challenges" to territorial integrity and peace, according to a copy of the directive released on Sunday.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea as its territory, policed by an armada of coastguard vessels, some more than 1,000km away from its mainland.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

TODAYonline /  🏆 1. in SG

Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Philippines says 3 soldiers hurt by China water cannon attack in South China SeaPhilippines says 3 soldiers hurt by China water cannon attack in South China SeaMANILA — Three Philippine troops were injured in the latest China Coast Guard water cannon attack on a Filipino supply vessel near a South China Sea reef, Manila's national security adviser said on Sunday (March 24).
Read more »

Philippines to boost diplomacy and defence capability as South China Sea 'countermeasures'Philippines to boost diplomacy and defence capability as South China Sea 'countermeasures'MANILA: Countermeasures by the Philippines to China's conduct in the South China Sea will entail strengthening its defence capabilities with allies and exhausting all diplomatic measures to resolve disputes, a security official said on Monday (Apr 1).
Read more »

Why Asean is watching the Philippines’ strategy in South China SeaWhy Asean is watching the Philippines’ strategy in South China SeaUnder President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, the Philippines is raising its game to cope with an increasingly aggressive China.
Read more »

Philippines' Strategy in South China Sea Shows Ahead-of-the-Curve Burden-Sharing for SecurityPhilippines' Strategy in South China Sea Shows Ahead-of-the-Curve Burden-Sharing for SecurityIn this podcast episode, hear why the Philippines’ strategy in the South China Sea shows it's ahead of the curve in terms of burden-sharing for security. By accident or design, the Philippines, facing a giant China across the South China Sea, is ahead of the curve in terms of the burden-sharing for security in this region. This is very likely to evolve from rhetoric to requirement for US allies, if former US President Donald Trump returns to power in the White House in January 2025.
Read more »

New Zealand raises South China Sea, Taiwan tensions with China during Foreign Minister’s visitNew Zealand raises South China Sea, Taiwan tensions with China during Foreign Minister’s visitMr Wang Yi met his NZ counterpart Winston Peters in person for the first time on March 18.
Read more »

China coast guard says it took measures against Philippine vessels in South China SeaChina coast guard says it took measures against Philippine vessels in South China SeaMANILA/SHANGHAI — China's coast guard said it had taken control measures against Philippine vessels in disputed waters of the South China Sea on Saturday (March 23), while the Philippine coast guard decried the moves as 'irresponsible and provocative'.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 10:51:51