NUM calls on entire Eskom board to step down immediately.
This comes after President Cyril Ramaphosa announced during his state of the nation address earlier this year that Eskom would be split into three subsidiaries - generation, transmission and distribution - to limit the risk of the whole utility collapsing.
The union said the move was not explained properly, particularly in terms of how it will affect workers. It has also called on all Eskom board members to step down, accusing chairman Jabu Mabuza of doing"shady businesses with Eskom".thousands of NUM members at Eskom will march to Luthuli House on March 30;all independent power producers' contracts signed by Eskom must be scrapped.
The meeting at Luthuli House will not be the end of it, however, as the union has also vowed to make its voice heard ahead of the upcoming elections. "A total shutdown will be organised as from May 3 up to the national general elections on May 8," said NUM general secretary David Sipunzi in a statement.
"We are assured that our members will fully heed the call and join the planned march on March 30," he said.
Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
UPDATE: High risk of Stage 1 rotational load shedding tonightEskom advised customers to keep checking their load shedding schedules on the Eskom or municipal website.
Read more »
PARLIAMENT: Electricity price goes up — way beyond inflation — as Ramaphosa answers questions on Eskom in the HouseAs President Cyril Ramaphosa answered questions on the Eskom crisis in the House, the energy regulator announced an electricity price hike of at least 9.41% from 1 April — well above inflation. For consumers picking up the Eskom tab, this would be followed by an increase of 8.1% in 2020 and 5.2% in 2021. Nice presidential words on government action to solve the Eskom crisis do not soften the pain.
Read more »
Ramaphosa set to update SA on plans for Eskom, state capture inquiryThe Presidency says that President Ramaphosa will also unpack the government’s plans for Eskom during his question and answer session in the National Assembly on 7 March.
Read more »
LIVESTREAM: Nersa to decide on Eskom's 15% hike requestLife could get a whole lot more expensive for South African if Eskom gets its way.
Read more »
Six questions answered about Eskom and IPPsThe struggling utility's Independent Power Producer programme explained.
Read more »
Matshela Koko fingered in Eskom lootingExplosive details of how former Eskom boss Matshela Koko allegedly facilitated the looting of millions of rand from the Kusile power plant construction project have been exposed in reports presented to the SIU by a multi-national engineering company that scored a R2.2bn contract with the utility. The documents claim that Koko guaranteed Swiss engineering giant ABB future contracts worth R6.
Read more »
Former Eskom manager describes the 'last straw' that forced him outStateCaptureInquiry 'I knew I couldn't trust [Matshela] Koko. It was clear that [Ayanda Ntetha] was being influenced and put pressure on from the executive going over me. It was clear that they wanted to replace me.'
Read more »