Over 20 disabled young people went to a camp without parents or caregivers for the first time.
SINGAPORE – For the first time, 19-year-olds Sri Ramachandran Vijayan, Ethan Justin Yeong and Yap Xiao Zhen got to be on their own at a holiday camp.
Called Camp Extraordinary , the event has created a fun, safe and inclusive environment to provide opportunities for young people with disabilities to discover their identity and build up life skills, independence, self-worth and self-confidence. These included icebreaker games, a trip to Madame Tussauds Singapore in Sentosa and boccia, a target ball sport developed for people with cerebral palsy.
“This camp serves as a good experience for the campers . I do not think it is going to be like any of the other camps they had been to, even if they had been to one,” she said. “Planning a camp with various profiles of disabilities is challenging. As we continue with the process, it became manageable rather than overwhelming,” Ms Nur’Aini said, admitting that she had pre-camp jitters the night before.
Parents of camp participants were happy to see their children gain confidence and independence away from their watchful eyes.
Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Israel denies strike on camp near Rafah that Gaza officials say killed 21 peopleCAIRO/GAZA: Israel's military denied striking a tent camp west of the city of Rafah on Tuesday (May 28) after Gaza health authorities said Israeli tank shelling had killed at least 21 people there, in what Israel has designated a civilian evacuation zone.
Read more »
Israel denies strike on camp near Rafah that Gaza officials say killed 21 peopleCAIRO — Israel's military denied striking a tent camp west of Rafah on May 28 after Gaza health authorities said Israeli tank shelling had killed at least 21 people there, in an area Israel has designated a civilian evacuation zone.
Read more »
Israel denies strike on camp near Rafah that Gaza officials say killed 21 peopleCAIRO/GAZA: Israel's military denied striking a tent camp west of the city of Rafah on Tuesday (May 28) after Gaza health authorities said Israeli tank shelling had killed at least 21 people there, in what Isra
Read more »
Israeli airstrike on camp in Gaza's Rafah city leaves at least 45 deadPalestinian officials said at least 45 people have been killed in an Israeli air strike on a camp in Gaza's Rafah city. Countries, including Egypt and Saudi Arabia, have condemned the attack, while Qatar warned the incident could hinder negotiations for a deal on a ceasefire and the release of hostages.
Read more »
Israeli attack on Rafah tent camp kills 45, prompts global outcryJERUSALEM: An Israeli airstrike triggered a massive blaze killing 45 people in a tent camp in the Gaza city of Rafah, officials said on Monday (May 27), prompting an outcry from global leaders who urged the im
Read more »
Israeli attack on Rafah tent camp kills 45, prompts international outcryCAIRO/JERUSALEM — An Israeli airstrike triggered a fire that killed 45 people in a tent camp in the Gazan city of Rafah, officials said on Monday (May 27), prompting an outcry from global leaders who urged the implementation of a World Court order to halt Israel's assault.
Read more »