Biden and Trump agree on debates in June and September, defying election tradition

Decision 2024 News

Biden and Trump agree on debates in June and September, defying election tradition
Malaysia Latest News,Malaysia Headlines
  • 📰 NBCDFW
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 80 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 35%
  • Publisher: 63%

Biden and Trump have agreed to hold two campaign debates in June and September, but there are no guarantees they'll happen as their camps appear far apart on…

Biden said he accepted an invitation from CNN to a debate on June 27. Trump’s campaign did not immediately respond to that proposal.p on Wednesday agreed to hold two campaign debates in June and September, but there were no guarantees that they would happen as their camps appeared far apart on key details like the setting and ground rules for the potential face-offs.sponsored by the nonpartisan commission that has organized them for more than three decades.

Trump’s team did not immediately weigh in on the details of the Biden proposal, but Trump expressed his desire for a large live audience. Biden’s campaign has long held a grudge against the nonpartisan commission for failing to evenly apply its rules during the 2020 Biden-Trump matchups — most notably when it and his entourage — and Biden’s team has held talks with television networks and some Republicans about ways to circumvent the commission’s grip on presidential debates.

There was little love lost for the commission as well from Trump, who objected to technical issues at his first debate with Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016 and was upset after a debate with Biden was canceled in 2020 after the Republican came down with COVID-19. The Republican National Committee had already promised not to work with commission on the 2024 contests.

The Biden campaign also proposed that the Biden-Trump debates this year be hosted by “any broadcast organization that hosted a Republican Primary debate in 2016 in which Donald Trump participated, and a Democratic primary debate in 2020 in which President Biden participated — so neither campaign can assert that the sponsoring organization is obviously unacceptable: if both candidates have previously debated on their airwaves, then neither could object to such venue.

“Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020, since then, he hasn’t shown up for a debate,' Biden said in a post on X, the site formerly known as Twitter."Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

NBCDFW /  🏆 288. in US

Malaysia Latest News, Malaysia Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Biden and Trump agree to June and September debates but clash on detailsBiden and Trump agree to June and September debates but clash on detailsTrump has repeatedly dared Biden to debate him, keeping a second podium open at rallies and claiming that his rival would not be up for the task.
Read more »

Trump accepts Biden offer to debate him in June and SeptemberTrump accepts Biden offer to debate him in June and SeptemberFormer President Trump agreed Wednesday to debate President Biden in June and September, accepting dates proposed by the Democratic incumbent.
Read more »

Biden's campaign proposes June and September for debates against TrumpBiden's campaign proposes June and September for debates against TrumpRebecca Shabad is a politics reporter for NBC News based in Washington.
Read more »

Biden offers to debate Trump in June and September, shuns debates from nonpartisan organizerBiden offers to debate Trump in June and September, shuns debates from nonpartisan organizerPresident Joe Biden says he won't participate in fall presidential debates sponsored by the nonpartisan commission that's organized them for more than three…
Read more »

Donald Trump Responds to Joe Biden's Debate ChallengeDonald Trump Responds to Joe Biden's Debate ChallengeIn a social media post, Biden challenged former Trump to debates in June and September.
Read more »

Biden, Trump head to Southern California in June for big-dollar fundraisersBiden, Trump head to Southern California in June for big-dollar fundraisersTrump will headline Beverly Hills and Newport Beach events. Biden will attend a downtown L.A. fundraiser with former President Obama, actors George Clooney and Julia Roberts.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 10:11:02