Beyond the Breaking News

Johor Media Club Regrets and Concerns Over Media Harassment Incident during Pakatan Convention in Johor Baru

Political News News

Johor Media Club Regrets and Concerns Over Media Harassment Incident during Pakatan Convention in Johor Baru
Harassment ReportsHarassment IncidentMedia Personnel

Johor Media Club expresses regret and concern over an alleged incident involving harassment and disruption against media personnel during the coverage of the Pakatan Harapan convention in Johor Baru on Sunday, May 17. The media club lodged a police report to ensure the incident does not recur.

JOHOR BARU : Johor Media Club has expressed regret and concern over an incident involving alleged harassment and disruption against media personnel during the coverage of the Pakatan Harapan convention here on Sunday .

In response, the Pakatan Convention secretariat said it took seriously any allegations involving interference with media duties, including issues related to safety. The media club had, in a statement on Tuesday , said the incident allegedly involved excessive actions by the party security squad tasked with controlling the convention and managing the movement of dignitaries. The club added that several local media practitioners from Johor and Kuala Lumpur were obstructed from carrying out their duties through aggressive behaviour.

The association said the situation escalated into pushing incidents and verbal altercations while media personnel were attempting to obtain reactions from party leaders.

"The uncontrolled situation not only caused discomfort and disrupted media duties, but also directly affected the safety of media personnel carrying out their responsibilities professionally," the statement read. The club said the incident should not have happened as the organisers had earlier assured media practitioners that proper access and space would be provided.

"As strategic partners in disseminating information to the public, media practitioners should be given cooperation and professional treatment by all parties, including security teams and event organisers," it added. Following the incident, the club said it had lodged a police report to ensure such incidents would not recur and to safeguard the welfare and rights of media personnel. The association also called on the organisers and related parties to provide an immediate explanation regarding the incident.

The club expressed hope that all parties would continue to ensure the safety and freedom of media practitioners in the future. The Pakatan Convention Secretariat said it took seriously any allegations involving interference with media duties, including issues related to safety. In a statement, the secretariat said Pakatan appreciated the role of the media as a strategic partner and upheld the principles of media freedom.

The secretariat said an internal investigation was currently being conducted to obtain a clearer picture of the incident, including feedback from security personnel and programme secretariat members. It added that full cooperation would be given to the authorities if required to ensure the matter was handled fairly and prudently.

"At the same time, improvements will be made to ensure media management and security control during future programmes can be carried out in a more organised, professional and harmonious manner," the statement said. Victims question delay in action on pending PJ case over alleged luxury watch scam

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

staronline /  🏆 4. in MY

Harassment Reports Harassment Incident Media Personnel Pakatan Convention Johor Baru Police Report Freedom Of Media

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Pakatan Harapan Deputy Chairman Argues for Party Ticket Electors' Commitment and Legal Scrutiny of Exit PlansPakatan Harapan Deputy Chairman Argues for Party Ticket Electors' Commitment and Legal Scrutiny of Exit PlansPakatan Harapan deputy chairman Anthony Loke addresses the need for party ticket representatives to serve their terms, commenting on PKR deputy president Rafizi Ramli and vice-president Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad's decision to quit their party and vacate their parliamentary seats, and suggesting that the matter might have legal implications.
Read more »

Pakatan Harapan chairman meets BN leader on Johor leadership decisionPakatan Harapan chairman meets BN leader on Johor leadership decisionDatuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, the PH chairman, intends to meet Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, the BN leader, to discuss the coalition's decision to contest on its own in the upcoming state election in Johor. The discussions may involve negotiations to help and rectify any mistakes made for the betterment of the people.
Read more »

Pandan and Setiawangsa Parliamentary Vacancies: Rafizi, Nik Nazmi Join Parti Bersama Malaysia, May Depart PakatanPandan and Setiawangsa Parliamentary Vacancies: Rafizi, Nik Nazmi Join Parti Bersama Malaysia, May Depart PakatanFormer Cabinet ministers Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad have announced their resignation from PKR to join Parti Bersama Malaysia (Bersama). They will vacate their parliamentary seats for Pandan and Setiawangsa, respectively, on Monday, following which they will formally move to the new party. This development ends their long-standing ties with PKR.
Read more »

Pakatan Harapan Ties in Penang Remain Open Despite Johor-Negri Sembilan Political TENSIONPakatan Harapan Ties in Penang Remain Open Despite Johor-Negri Sembilan Political TENSIONChow Kon Yeow, Chief Minister of Penang, confirms open ties between Pakatan Harapan and Barisan Nasional, stating that the electoral cooperation decision will be made at the national level.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-24 08:07:09